Pages

11.16.2011

Paniquian Falls in Mariveles, Bataan



It was one of those trips which I failed to commence with full enthusiasm. I was a bit half-hearted when I woke up at 0100hours to proceed to our assembly location (Mini-Stop Bicutan). We left Bicutan at around 0210hours but the bus took more than an hour to Cubao (fare is 26pesos). We left Bataan Transit’s terminal at around 0345 hours. Regular fare from Cubao to Alasasin, Bataan is 267pesos (if you have a valid student ID, fare is 214pesos).

I shared 140pesos for three meals (ampalaya with egg, fried milkfish, corned beef, sausage, sinigang) plus 2 litre of gin. Registration fee at the barangay hall is 40pesos. We commenced the hike at around 0830 hours. While walking, they were talking about their Mt Arayat Traverse. Oh well, I was out of the box because I was not with them when they had that itinerary. By the way, I was with Kiko, Dave, Mar, Rey and Van.

We soon reached Nanay Daldalita and the same routine went on. You know what happens here when you reach this place. There was another group (composed of girls dressed in skimpy shorts, as if they were headed to the mall). Their presence was good because they acted as magnets that kept Mar on track. We even joked about not proceeding to our goals but instead, divert to Papaya River where all the girls were heading. We later found out that they were working at a bar, according to one of the guides.

One of the guides also told us the way to the summit from the falls. When we reached one of the falls, we started looking for a trail to the summit. They had lunch, but I did not. I just wanted to test my survival capacity if I could reach the campsite without eating lunch. And yes, I reached another waterfalls – this time, the Paniquian Falls. And my sanity literally went over the edge when I saw the crystalline water and felt its cold nature. It was good Kiko and Rey were literally energetic to find something beyond the falls. With Dave, Van and Mar, we took pictures as if the sun was at its last course.

We reached the campsite at 1400. We pitched our tents. They started their booze session. And I proceeded to my usual exploration of unique flora and fauna half-naked. When the surroundings were decorated with pitch-black walls, the party started! Do not ask me to describe how the party turned out to be successful…  with some knocked out of consciousness and figuratively went over the top of the fence of existence.

We left the campsite at 0800hours. Twenty minutes after, we reached the Pantingan Falls and we were surprised to see that there is another campsite in the area. If we have found about it, then we should have camped here. After the whirlwind romance with the waterfalls, we then started our dazzling affair with the summit.

After taking pictures with the Historical Tree at the summit, we walked our way through the Ridge to the Papaya River.

(Image credit: Dave Regoso.)

2 comments:

  1. d ko mahanap f san maglalike! well, anyway thank u so much
    4 d info about falls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sir, may contact ba kayo ng guides dun sa paniquian trail?

    ReplyDelete